2.04.2007

Armey Dick

Former House Majority Leader, Dick Armey R-Texas, has this to say today:
Q. Your views on the Iraq war?

A. I'm not sure that it was the right thing to do. You might say removing Saddam from power was a right thing to do. Maybe it was, but was that necessarily then our responsibility to do that? And was it our responsibility to do that by invading a country that had no way declared any war on us?

Q. You voted for the resolution to go to war.

A. I did, and I'm not happy about it. The resolution was a resolution that authorized the president to take that action if he deemed it necessary. Had I been more true to myself and the principles I believed in at the time, I would have openly opposed the whole adventure vocally and aggressively. I had a tough time reconciling doing that against the duties of majority leader in the House. I would have served myself and my party and my country better, though, had I done so.



His 'principles at the time'? Are these the same principles that he holds now? And he accuses Hillary of being "whoever you want her to be"? Please. This is the man who tried to have it both ways in 2002 by saying we probably shouldn't go to war against Saddam but we absolutely have to give Bush a blank check to do it. I guess he had plenty of time to study 'triangulation' while Clinton was president.

Sorry, Dick. This Texan in Houston doesn't buy it. Refer to Colin Powell's warning to Bush: "If you break it, you buy it." You can't wash your hands of this by saying that you aren't "happy" about your vote. Why don't you go hook up with Tom DeLay and see if you can't settle your decade-old argument about whether the country needs less taxes or more Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home